Tax Appeals and Litigation

Our law firm will go the extra mile to protect your interests

An unfavorable decision by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or Arizona Department of Revenue (ADOR) does not have to be the end. You still have legal options, and an experienced tax law attorney can help you take advantage of those options - but you have to move quickly. That's why we encourage you to contact the tax lawyers at Brown, Naegle, Crider & Jensen LLC if you've been hit with an unfavorable tax decision.

Founding partner Shad M. Brown has extensive experience handling cases involving tax appeals and litigation. A former IRS attorney, he has seen complex tax litigation from both sides, and he uses that invaluable experience and extensive knowledge of tax law to represent taxpayers throughout Arizona today.

How to appeal a decision by the IRS or ADOR

There are multiple methods of appealing the decisions of the IRS. Within the IRS itself, you can appeal to the auditor's supervisor or file for an administrative appeal to the Appeals Office. You also have the option of taking on the IRS in court. Within 90 days of the date the IRS mails you a notice of deficiency, you can file a petition to the United States Tax Court. You can also take action in the United States Court of Federal Claims or a United States District Court. In order to file a petition with either of these courts, you must allow the IRS to assess the deficiency, pre-pay the payment, and then sue for a refund of all or a portion of the tax paid.

Decisions made by the Arizona Department of Revenue may also be appealed, both internally within the agency and formally in court. To appeal Arizona income tax assessments, a taxpayer must petition the Arizona Tax Court; for property tax assessments, a taxpayer must petition the Arizona Board of Equalization. Most other types of Arizona tax assessments are handled through the Office of Administrative Hearings.

Let our team help you through a complex tax appeal

Whether you end up facing the IRS or ADOR in court or in an administrative hearing, the key to getting a favorable resolution is to have an experienced tax attorney representing your interests. Those government agencies have teams of attorneys on their side, and you need someone who understands how they work. That's why you need to talk to Shad Brown about your case.

Remember, when it comes to tax appeals, time is of the essence. Take immediate action to protect your interests. Contact us online or call 480-378-9000 today.

3850 E Baseline Rd Suite 112
Mesa, AZ 85206
local phone: (480) 378-9000