The Long-Lasting Consequences of A DUI in Arizona: Our Attorneys Discuss
The holidays are fast approaching and many Arizona residents, as well as visitors, will be celebrating with family and friends.
Many of these celebrations involve alcohol consumption. Police in Arizona are well aware of that and will be out in full force looking for drunk drivers.
Police will stop you for the slightest infraction or sign that you may be impaired. They may even set up checkpoints on highly traveled roads.
If you are stopped and found to be driving with a blood alcohol content (BAC) level of 0.08 or more, you will be arrested and issued a summons to appear in court.
DUI charges in Arizona
- Face up to six months in jail, with at least 10 days being mandatory
- Pay a fine of at least $1,250
- Face probation
- Have your license suspended
- If you’re caught driving with a BAC level of 0.15 or higher, you may face a mandatory minimum of 30 consecutive days in jail and a fine of at least $2,500.
Even after you complete your jail time and pay your fine, the consequences don’t stop there. In order to regain your driving privileges, you may be required to:
- Attend drunk driving school
- Attend an alcohol treatment program
- Perform community service
- Complete an alcohol abuse evaluation program
- Install an ignition interlock device on your vehicle
- Pay significantly higher insurance premiums
- Lose your job
- Have trouble finding employment in the future
This is just for a first-time offense. If you were previously arrested and charged with a DUI, the consequences can be harsher.
Why hire an attorney?
Attempting to fight DUI charges in court without the legal advocacy of an experienced criminal defense attorney can be nearly impossible. Police often record DUI stops and field sobriety tests on their dashboard cameras, which could be used as evidence in court.
Your best bet is to remain silent. Anything you tell police can give them leverage against you in court. Simply tell them you want an attorney.
At Brown, Naegle, Crider & Jensen LLC, we know how to build an effective defense. We’ll work tirelessly to defend your rights and make sure you are treated fairly in the criminal justice system. Contact us today to discuss your options.