Modifications of Child Support

Our law firm will make sure your child is provided for

At the time of a divorce with children, child support is determined by factors such as the parents' income, cost of daycare, cost of healthcare and special needs among others. These factors can change over time, justifying another look at the child support portion of the divorce decree.

According to both federal and state law, you do have the right to request a modification of child support in Arizona. But just because you have the right to request such a modification doesn't mean it will be automatically granted. A Mesa child support attorney at Brown, Naegle, Crider & Jensen LLC can help you protect your interests.

When is modification necessary?

Child support modifications can only be made by the court. However, in some cases, when the parents work together and come up with a plan that they both agree on, the court may grant approval.

Some of the most typical circumstances that may warrant a child support modification include the following:

  • Increase or Decrease in Income
  • Loss of a Job
  • Birth of a Child
  • Incarceration
  • Disability
  • Change in Health Insurance Coverage

If any of these circumstances have occurred recently, you may be eligible to have your current child support responsibilities reviewed and possibly modified. The courts will want to take a look at how long these changes have been in effect and how long they are estimated to last.

Remember, modifications to child support are not retroactive. The court can only change the amount owed going forward. That means you need to get the legal process moving as soon as you become aware of a circumstance that will affect the child support situation.

Experience you can trust

There are specifics involved when filing for and litigating child support modifications. To ensure the best possible outcome, it's crucial that you have an experienced family law attorney in your corner. Even if you and the other parent agree on the change to child support, you need a lawyer's help to present the proposed modification in a way that is acceptable to the court. And certainly, if the child support change is disputed, you need an attorney to represent your interests.

Mesa family law attorney Brad Crider has extensive experience handling complex modifications of child support. If you need to change your child support arrangement, take action right away. Contact us online or call 480-378-9000.

3850 E Baseline Rd Suite 112
Mesa, AZ 85206
local phone: (480) 378-9000