Enforcement of Divorce Decrees

A Mesa lawyer can make sure your rights are protected

A divorce decree is supposed to be the final word on a divorce. The judge sets the terms of the divorce and both parties are expected to abide by them. If changes are needed, then the parties need to go back to court to have the decree formally altered. However, it's far too common for divorced spouses to refuse to comply with the decree.

If your ex-spouse is not living up to their part of the order, you have the right to seek enforcement through the court. An experienced Mesa family law attorney can help. Brown, Naegle, Crider & Jensen LLC is ready to go to work for you to help you file the proper paperwork with the courts and aggressively fight for the enforcement of your divorce decree.

Commonly violated terms of a divorce

Mesa divorce attorney Brad Crider has worked with hundreds of couples, both during and after the divorce process. Some of the most commonly violated terms of a divorce our team has seen include:

  • Failure to pay child support
  • Failure to pay spousal maintenance
  • Failure to pay debts
  • Failure to follow through on an ordered sale or refinancing of an asset
  • Failure to sell a home in a timely manner

Obviously, if your ex-spouse refuses to pay what you are owed, your finances will suffer. You may have to take on debt in order to make ends meet. And failure to follow through on these obligations can have other effects as well. If, for example, your ex-spouse has been ordered to make payments on a joint credit card and is now refusing to do so, your credit score may suffer - because as far as the credit bureaus are concerned, it's still a joint responsibility.

We know how to fight for enforcement of your decree

When any of these terms of the divorce are not met, then you have the right to file a motion with the courts. Basically, the contract of the divorce that was agreed upon by both parties and overseen by the court has been broken. This is an issue that needs to be addressed right away.

If you find yourself involved in a crisis like this, don't sit and wait. Contact us right away and we'll work to get things back to the way they should be. There is no reason why you should suffer because of the unwillingness of your ex-spouse to live up to the divorce decree. A Mesa divorce attorney from our firm will help you through every step of the process and make sure you're taken care of.

3850 E Baseline Rd Suite 112
Mesa, AZ 85206
local phone: (480) 378-9000